Some of the disadvantages of qualitative research include:
- It is more difficult to determine the validity and reliability of linguistic data
- It is harder to determine the extent of influence that the researcher had over the results (e.g., through researcher bias). That is, there is more subjectivity involved in analysing the data.
- Note, this doesn’t mean the data is necessarily less valid or reliable, just that it’s harder to know this (with quantitative data, you can do validity test, confirmatory analyses, and other stuff).
- “Data overload” – open-ended questions can sometimes create lots of data, which can take along time to analyse!
- Transcription of recorded interviews can often take a lot of time and/or money